09 September 2008

The More Things Change...

Well, actually some things don't change. What doesn't appear to be changing is the pathological obsession with complaining about the Fractal Universe calendar and the Benoit Mandelbrot Fractal Art Contest. I suppose the complainers should rename their blog to "1001 Ways to Complain".

It's not a big deal for people to disagree about something. But, I do consider it a big deal for people to misrepresent, or outright lie about, information to make ones case. So, lets analyze a choice quote from a recent post.

Sound familiar? Fractal art is waiting for a similar transformational break. The prevailing monarchy -- with its de rigueur software (UF) and its corrupt, self-serving contests (BMFAC, the FUC) -- constitute our comparable "proprietary system." These Fractal CEOs create competitions designed to first and foremost highlight their own art, then claim in subsequent publicity materials to be showcasing "high quality works by the most important fractal artists in the world." Even OT disliker Ken Childress catapulted such propaganda again last week on his blog (no link):

UF is the program of choice for many of those who are the most respected fractal artists today.

And Childress proves this claim by ... simply making the claim -- as if saying so makes any utterance true, just like judging a fractal contest that includes your own work makes you respectable and "important." Meanwhile, Childress gets to hang out with the self-selected Kewl Kidz in the Fractal McMansion. Why rock the boat when you're sitting on a velvet cushion in it?

Normally, I delete all the little links before using a quote. But, in this case, I left one in because I reference it below. Generally, unless they are useful or directly relevant, I consider the practice rather juvenile and inane.

Let's list the lies, or false statements if you prefer, in this excerpt quoted above. As you read them, remember this excellent rule.

First tell the truth,
then give your opinion.
  • prevailing monarchy -- with its de rigueur software (UF) - Monarchy implies a controller or controlling authority. There is no such thing in the fractal world. Ultra Fractal is a program that is clearly more popular than all others and it is clearly far superior to any other program in the artistic and programming capabilities it offers. It would seem that this is what is being complained about.
  • corrupt, self-serving contests (BMFAC, the FUC) - I realize that this is their opinion. The reason that this is a misleading statement (lie) is that it is meant to give the uninformed reader a negative opinion. There has never been any evidence to support either claim. There is nothing corrupt or self-serving about this two events. Nothing wrong with them either. Read the archives here for all the gory details. I do admit that some don't like them. I do admit that they don't follow "Hoyle's Rules of Contests" and are more informal than formal. No big deal, except those that don't like them just want to complain about them, rather than do something to counter them. It reminds me of the saying "them that don't or can't, complain". Well, I modified the saying a bit, but it is still quite applicable.
  • constitute our comparable "proprietary system." - Proprietary implies closed or restricted access. In fact, the opposite is true. Popularity does not equate to proprietary.
  • These Fractal CEOs create competitions designed to first and foremost highlight their own art - "CEOs" implies a controlling authority. Another falsehood (lie). This implies that this was the reason the two referenced events exists. Anyone who knows the history behind them knows that this is not true. Thus, this is just a spin (lie) to make the events sound ominous.
  • Even OT disliker Ken Childress catapulted such propaganda again last week on his blog (no link) - I assume the Pinocchio link on my name is to imply I've lied somehow. These complainers like to imply that, yet they have never produced any such proof. They won't, because they can't. They also won't link to this blog because they are cowards. They are afraid that the many more readers they have than I will be exposed to the truth.
  • And Childress proves this claim by ... simply making the claim -- as if saying so makes any utterance true - My statement is a statement of opinion. An observation of the evidence shows the opinion to be very true. However, some will disagree. Fine, that doesn't make what I said any less true. If you disagree, point me to names of those who you think are among the "most respected fractal artists today".
  • just like judging a fractal contest that includes your own work makes you respectable and "important." - Don't like the rules? Make your own contest. Contest organizers can make their own rules. Live with it.
  • Meanwhile, Childress gets to hang out with the self-selected Kewl Kidz in the Fractal McMansion. -Hmmmm. Where is this mansion? I didn't get the memo. I'm starting to think I should be quite upset that I haven't received my invite to all these "insider" meetings to work on expanding the cabal to take over everything related to fractal art. I'm hoping that on the agenda soon is the movement to prohibit filters being used on images unless they are part of an Ultra Fractal formula. Please Kidz, if you are reading this, make sure I get the meeting notice.
  • Why rock the boat when you're sitting on a velvet cushion in it? - Trust me, if I see unethical activities in the "boat", I'll rock it. I see unethical behavior coming from the complainers, so I'm exposing it. When I see it with the calendar, I'll speak up.
While most of the post is an interesting, if not wishful thinking, comparison of fractal art to other art and "guerrilla" tactics, the above rendered the otherwise thoughtful post to just another rant.

Remember,

First tell the truth,
then give your opinion.

0 Comments: